Fun fact: So one night I was at Bestia (the #1 American/ Italian resty in LA in Mai opinion), and who sits at the table beside me but the Award Winning, breathtaking, always glowing Gwyneth Paltrow. And rather than die over her shoes and handbag, Mai nosy lil' eyes were pasted on what she ordered to stay in that lean mean shape. (PS. It was 2 entrees of pasta, one creamy, and dessert.) So obvi when our Goop Goddess recently launched her cook book, It's All Good, with her I-Woke-Up-Like-This face, I dove into the pages to see WTH I need to eat to glow like Gwen. This Chili Thai burger recipe had me from the start because she incorporated Anthony Bourdain and Mai fave...fish sauce???
Mai friend Robin (best mom and luxury handbag shopper out there btw) and I decided to try out the recipe this weekend. Good god....it's become the best chicken burger I've ever tried. Juicy, spicy, flavor overload. So of course, I had to share with Mai fam, YOU guys! Post on your socials if you cook these up and tag me. She calls for gluten free buns but Robin used Hawaiian rolls and I think they tasted magical I would luv to hear how yours came out!
Gwyneth’s Chicken Burgers, Thai Style
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-60 minutes
• 1 pound ground chicken (preferably dark meat)
• 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
• 2/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
• 2 shallots, very finely minced
• 1 tsp. very finely minced red chili (or more or less, however hot you like it)
• 2 tsp. fish sauce
• ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp. canola, grape seed or safflower oil
1. Thoroughly mix the chicken with the garlic, cilantro, shallots, red chili, fish sauce, salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 burgers, each about ¾-inch thick.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Rub each burger on both sides with a bit of oil and grill for about 8 minutes on the first side and another 5 minutes on the second, or until nicely marked and firm to the touch.